There’s a lot you can do to maximize the life of your car:
- Keep your tires inflated at the correct pressure. Under inflation causes tire wear and wastes fuel.
- Don’t carry unneeded weight in your vehicle. Excess weight puts a heavier load on the engine, causing greater fuel consumption.
- Accelerate slowly and smoothly. Avoid jackrabbit starts. Get into a higher gear as quickly as possible.
- Avoid long engine idling. If you have to wait for a long period of time, it is better to turn off the engine and start again later.
- Avoid engine lag or over-revving. Use a gear position suitable for the type of road you’re traveling.
- Avoid stop-and-go driving. Stop-and-go driving wastes fuel.
- Don’t rest your foot on the clutch or brake pedal. This causes needless wear, overheating and poor fuel economy.
- Keep all wheels in proper alignment. Improper alignment not only causes faster tire wear but also puts an extra load on the engine.
- Keep your vehicle tuned up and in top shape.
- Getting better mileage is actually simple. Just take it easy while driving. It will also make your vehicle last longer.
- Take to the shade rather than keep the air conditioner running.
- It’s a good idea to do a safety check before starting out on a trip. A visit to your mechanic can help ensure safe and pleasant driving.